What is a Print Ready PDF?
PDF stands for Portable Document Format. Supplying a print ready PDF not only eliminates all of the extra files you would have traditionally sent to a printing company, it will also speed your file through our pre-press department as we won’t need to load everything into our system. By supplying a print ready PDF you create a simple workflow between you and us, enabling a hassle free transition from design through to print and delivery.
A Print ready PDF must meet certain criteria for your file to print without problems. All print ready PDFs need to contain the following:
- The file is supplied as four-colour process CMYK and not RGB colour space. If you are unfamiliar with this terminology don’t worry, we will convert it for you, though some colours may look washed out.
- The document’s page size is the finished trim size.
- Fonts are embedded or converted to outlines so no fonts are needed.
- All scans resolution are 300 dpi at 100% of the final image size.
- Images are embedded in the file.
- Files are supplied with 3mm bleed.
- Any trim, score or fold marks are indicated and outside the live print area.
- Artwork is at least 5mm from the edge of the page; this is regarded as a safe or quiet area.
- Black text is 100% black and not a mix of CMYK.
- White text is not set to overprint.
- Any multiple-page PDF consists of single pages running from the front cover through to the back cover, including blank pages if needed.